Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7453 - 16/01/2000 23:00 Odd "Choppy Sound" Bug
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
I don't think this is worth reporting to the bugs email list, so I'll just post it here.

Right after I upgraded to beta9, I took the empeg out to the Jeep and went to go grab some food. Immediately after boot, it started playing music as normal. After about 8-10 seconds, it stopped in the middle of a song, then a half a second later, it started up again. This time, the hard drive light didn't go off, and the music (and visualization) was VERY choppy... as in, it was very stuttery, as if the hard drive couldn't keep up with the decoder, and the decoder kept having to pause to wait.

Anyway, I cycled to the next track, it did the same thing. I started a new playlist. Same thing. I put it in standby/came back. Same thing.

Then I pulled the whole unit, and after it finished booting, it's worked flawlessly. I haven't been able to duplicate the bug. (Which is why I'm not reporting it). I was just posting to see if anyone else had the same problem, or if it was just a fluke.

(O|||||O)

#7454 - 16/01/2000 23:07 Re: Odd "Choppy Sound" Bug [Re: ClemsonJeep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

After upgrading to beta 9+, I got one very brief stutter on one track. It hasn't happened since.

I thought it was my imagination. Perhaps not.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#7455 - 17/01/2000 02:32 Re: Odd "Choppy Sound" Bug [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This one has been around since B6 - it seems to occur once just after upgrading. Mike did post something about it about 2 months back.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#7456 - 17/01/2000 03:35 Re: Odd "Choppy Sound" Bug [Re: ClemsonJeep]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
The bug that caused beta9 to be withdrawn could certainly cause this type of behaviour.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#7457 - 17/01/2000 10:52 Re: Odd "Choppy Sound" Bug [Re: mac]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
The bug that caused beta9 to be withdrawn could certainly cause this type of behaviour.

Glad it wasn't just me. :)

What is your recommendations then? I don't recall if the release notes state that you can or cannot go back to 8b, so should I just keep 9 running until a patch comes out from it? I seem to recall you say something about one being released very soon...(?)

(O|||||O)

#7458 - 17/01/2000 11:12 Re: Odd "Choppy Sound" Bug [Re: ClemsonJeep]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
What is your recommendations then? I don't recall if the release notes state that you can or cannot go back to 8b, so should I just keep 9 running until a patch comes out from it? I seem to recall you say something about one being released very soon...(?)

You can go back to beta8c or beta8b if you wish but no earlier.

If everything goes well then beta9a should be released tomorrow.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#7459 - 17/01/2000 11:56 Re: Odd "Choppy Sound" Bug [Re: schofiel]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
You're right, since B6, but I've had this several times. (Not just after upgrading).

Pulling the unit out/in seems to work.

TommyE